Thursday, December 22, 2005

Proof in the Pudding

Today was a very big day at work for me. A project I have been working on for about 5 weeks was scheduled to be demonstrated to my boss and a colleague. The goal was to make it "good enough that I would buy it"! It was originally scheduled for 2pm, then moved to 11am, then 10:30am. At 10, I was struggling to finalize a few things, so my boss "granted [me] a reprieve" until 1:30. I worked through my lunch hour and by 1:30 was compiling and updating our history file (a record of what has changed). I walked into my boss' office at 2:05 ready for the demo, so all the rescheduling was for naught. However, the feedback was mostly positive with some detail changes to work out.

The demo went from 2 to 4, so when I left at 5, I was pretty wiped out. I stopped at Von's to pick up a few things, and then home to prepare appetizers because we had planned to meet with Patti & Cy this evening for dinner.

It took me a while to shake off the long day, but we all had a very fun dinner to celebrate the holidays and Garrett had a lot of fun with Patti & Cy. They gave Garrett a set of 4 hand puppets that he starred so intently at. They also gave him a light maker that shines animal shapes on the ceiling and plays music. Cy turned it on and we dimmed the lights so it would show up on the ceiling, but Garrett liked to stare directly at the light maker.

By the end of the night Cy had fallen asleep and I was feeling tired as well; however, once I started putting the last few branches on the tree I hit a second wind. After eatting, Garrett fell asleep and he slept in his bassinet while we decorated the tree. I needed Andrea's help stringing the lights, as my attempt was incredibly uneven. We both enjoyed hanging ornaments and were extremely happy to have decorated the tree. Following a tradition from Andrea's family, Garrett's snowman stuffed animal became the tree topper for this year, which is more fun than having the same one every year. Last year's topper, Baby Elmo, was very gracious in
passing on the title.

No comments: