Thursday, November 03, 2005

It Seemed So Simple

Tonight I had an incredibly irritating experience. Before leaving Claremont for the next few days while the paint dries, I dropped Andrea at home to pack a few things while I kept Garrett in the car, and went to Walgreen's to pick up a prescription for his eyes. We had decided that his eyes were not in fact clearing up on their own, even though they had looked better on some days. Usually picking up a prescription takes less than 10 minutes. However, I'll ruin any suspense and tell you up front that the experience took an hour and a half.

It began when they told me that they could not locate any record of the prescription. All of Garrett's information had been entered into the computer system, but the prescription was not in the system, nor could they find the original prescription I had left the night before. The employee suggested that she would leave a message for the employee who had received the prescription and everything would be resolved the next day. However, since I was doing this as a last errand before leaving for days, this solution was not very appealing to me.

I asked to speak to the supervisor who managed to ask every question again. By this point Garrett was awake and not very happy. Twenty minutes later, when the supervisor was about to call the doctor and get a verbal prescription, Garrett was already crying. But suddenly, the prescription appeared! At this point I figured the ordeal was over, but unfortunately, another 45 minutes lay ahead. I won't bore you with the details, but essentially adding a newborn to your insurance is a frustrating process, despite the number of times it must happen every year. When we had exceeded one hour of time waiting and Garrett was screaming because he had been away from Andrea for too long, I asked them to forget the insurance and just let me pay for the eyedrops. I cannot explain why it took 20 minutes for them to charge me and put the eyedrops in the bag, but after everything leading up to this, it seemed only fitting. When I finally arrived home, Garrett was so tired of screaming he had stopped, but he ate like he had never eaten before.

Afterwards, we made our way to Danielle and Justin's house, where a superb meal awaited us. Danielle served Pumpkin Seed Crusted Chevre Salad, Homemade Butternut Squash Soup, and Citrus Chicken with Root Vegetables. The meal was excellent was a perfect counter to the frustration of the earlier experience.

No comments: