Saturday, November 19, 2005

Lilla gubben

This was a very relaxing day. This morning I went to a facial that Andrea had scheduled while trying to plan for Natalie's birthday. She offered for me to have it, and I am quite glad I did because it was incredibly relaxing. Then I got home a few minutes before Natalie arrived to celebrate her birthday. Andrea and Natalie had massages while I stayed home with Garrett. He fell asleep in the bassinet while Andrea was getting ready, a few minutes before I arrived home. We expected he would awaken soon after Andrea left, but he stayed asleep almost the entire hour Andrea was gone. A few minutes before her massage was over he woke up, but changing his diaper and setting out for a walk put him back to sleep. Andrea and Natalie met me halfway through the walk and finished a loop with me.

Once Garrett had eaten we set out for lunch for the three of us. We had decided to visit Victoria Gardens since it was such a beautiful day. First stop was to the Yardhouse for lunch. None of us were especially happy with our selections, but we did get a fun picture of me with a half yard tall beer. Apparently somewhere along the chain, somebody thought that because I had not specified a size, I wanted the big one. The waitress was kind enough to exchange it for a pint and still let us use it as a photo opportunity!


It's amazing how many people tell us that Garrett has an adult face. I can definitely see a maturity to his features, but I am surprised by how often people mention it. In Swedish, there is a term of affection for a little boy, lilla gubbe, which translates to little old man (Lilla gumme, which means little old woman, is also used for little girls). It seems very appropriate for Garrett, so "lilla gubbe" joins the growing ranks of nicknames for Garrett. In the last week Monkey has stayed very popular, but Gherkin is loosing frequency. I think the more I know Garrett as a person, the less I associate him with his in utero name.

After lunch we set out for Mimi's Maternity, which carries the kind of nursing bras Andrea prefers (if you want more info, you have to ask). However, Garrett was hungry, so Andrea and Natalie went into the bathroom at Robinson's May. Andrea, knowing me as well as she does, could tell I was interested to visit the Apple Store, so I browsed there for a few minutes while Garrett started his feeding. It is absolutely amazing how small the iPod Video and iPod Nano are. The video is much beter than I expected from such a small screen. It makes me wonder what will be around when Garrett is old enough to start being interested in gadgets. I also peeked inside the Coach store on the way over to Robsinson's May. I must say that nothing caught my eye, although without Andrea, my shopping skills are severly hampered. She always manages to find something interesting that I missed.

Once Garrett had finished eatting we went to Mimi's to complete our quest. Andrea tried on a few nursing tops, but only liked the bras. I had my first experience changing Garrett on top of his stroller. He's so good, I practically redressed him in my arms and he basically let me, sometimes even helped, and rarely moved in ways that complicated the process.



At home we big farewell to Natalie and had dinner. Garrett wanted to eat a lot after spending the middle portion of the day asleep, so Andrea has been cuddling and feeding almost non-stop since we came home. It's time for bed soon; we are looking forward to celebrating two family birthdays tomorrow, Justin's birthday was yesterday and Mariann's is on Tuesday.

No comments: