Sunday, November 06, 2005

Super Bath Day

This morning my cousin, and my Godson, Bill, was confirmed at his church in Claremont. This meant that we had to be somewhere at a particular time in the morning. Things were looking OK at first. Garrett had eaten and was not suffering from gas as badly as last night, I was showered and dressed, Andrea was getting ready, when suddenly a little unexpected shower during a diaper change threw the plans into the trash bin. I am pleased to report that Garrett's first actual bath, in his tub with water, was very successful, despite the fact that I have no photographic evidence. I do however, have a new weight report. Today Garrett weighs 7 lbs 5 oz. Unfortunately, the bath seemed to coincide with his tummy bothering him more again and he needed some extra attention while we were getting him ready. By the time Garrett was washed, dressed and ready to go, we had missed the confirmation service entirely. These are the unexpected things that happen when you have a three week and two day old baby I guess.

I did however, get to visit and congratulate Bill, who responded with detailed analysis of the proper technique for sliding on one's knees. The fact that he was doing this in a suit definitely added to the absurdity of the scene, but I am happy that he is excited about his new hobby. Because Bill was confirmed at the church where my mother, aunts and uncle grew up attending and where my grandmother was very involved until she passed away, there were many people who know our family. They all wanted to see Garrett. Most of them remember me from when I was a boy, and I heard several comment that they saw a resemblence. I also heard many comments about how small he is.

After the reception at the church, my family met at Chili's for lunch so Garrett had his first visit sitting indoors at a restaraunt. For the most part, he was content as long as he could see a parent, and Andrea was directly in his line of site for the meal.

I must really be slipping at my job as photo historian because I did not take a single photo during the reception or lunch. However, I do know that some pictures were taken so I will track down the files as soon as I can gain access to them. I have to admit that I have sensed some lack of creativity about how to continue to take daily photos of Garrett. However, I feel that a picture a day is the best way to avoid the opposite condition, where all the stuff of life takes precendence and years later you wonder why you did not take more pictures. I think I just needed something like this to remind me that because it is important to me, I have to make the effort to keep the camera close at hand (Andrea always has it, I just have to ask for it).

After lunch, we took my mom and Aunt Betsy to Costco because they are shopping for a Plasma screen in the near future and I wanted them to see what Costco had to offer. Garrett was very calm while we browsed and picked up a few things: water, cleaning wipes, and a birthday present for Garrett! I cannot say here what it is, that would ruin the surprise, but I will hint that it's the current version of Andrea's favorite toy growing up.

Our little Garrett loves to be naked. We decided to let him be without a diaper for a few minutes tonight. He was very happy during this period; however, it ended abruptly with yet another unexpected potty and another unplanned bath, this time Andrea needed one too, but I think she wanted to take a bath tonight anyway. However, once again his bath in the tub went undocumented. Third time is the charm, right? Unfortunately Garrett still has some excess gas into the evening, but it definitely peaked last night and this morning.

We spent the rest of the evening catching up on this blog! I must admit I have been quite behind, posting either a picture or some text, but rarely both and for the last few days neither. Andrea and I brainstormed the major events that had not been blogged, going back to Halloween, with the post we wanted to write together the next day. If you're a frequent reader, this is a time to peek at the last few entries that you've already read. Recording the history of our family's life is time consuming, but I must say it is also very rewarding. If you are enjoying reading it half as much as I am enjoying writing it, then you must be having a great time.

No comments: